We are working toward our long-term vision of:
- Powering all our plants with 100% renewable energy
- Using 100% renewable or recycled materials for all products and packaging
- Having zero consumer and manufacturing waste go to landfills
- Designing products that delight consumers while maximizing the conservation of resources
We have established specific goals to demonstrate we are making progress against our long-term vision. The table below updates progress against our goals.
Conservation of Resources
- Reduce energy use at P&G facilities by 20% per unit of production by 2020.*
- Reduce absolute greenhouse gas emissions by 2020 by 30%*
- Ensure 70% of all washing machine loads are washed in cold water.
- Reduce truck transportation kilometers by 20% per unit of production.*
- Reduce water use in manufacturing facilities by 20% per unit of production.*
- Provide 1 billion people access to water-efficient products.
- Reduce packaging by 20% per consumer use.*
- Double use of recycled resin in plastic packaging.
- Ensure 90% of product packaging is either recyclable or programs are in place to create the ability to recycle it.
- Ensure plants are powered by 30% renewable energy.
- Create technologies by 2020 to substitute top petroleum-derived raw materials with renewable materials, as cost and scale permit.
- Ensure traceability of palm oil and palm kernel oil to our supplier mills by December 31, 2015, and to plantations by 2020 to ensure zero deforestation in our palm oil supply chain, with a commitment to working with small farmers.
- Have 100% of the virgin wood fiber used in our tissue/towel and absorbent hygiene products be third-party certified by 2015.
- Have 100% of our paper packaging contain either recycled or third-party-certified virgin content by 2020
Worth from Waste
- Conduct pilot studies in both the developed and developing world to understand how to eliminate landfilled/dumped solid waste.
- Zero Manufacturing Waste to Landfill
- Improve the lives of 50 million people each year through our social sustainability programmes.
- Provide 15 billion liters of clean drinking by 2020